5 years ago
Monday, June 4, 2012
Suggestions Needed
Rachel is a reader. I'm talking somewhere around 10 books a week. And I mean novels. Here's the problem ... we are running out of ideas. She has read everything I did when I was a kid, that wasn't horrible of course. She's read the Narnia series, the American Girl series, all of the Anne of Green Gables and the other ones like it. She's read the Mistmantle Chronicles, all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, that weren't horrible. She's read Mr. Popper's Penguins, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, The Indian in the Cupboard, and all the follow ups to that one. She's read Little Women, all of the Beverly Clearly books and too many others for me to keep track. I am out of ideas. We were at the library today and I had no idea. There is so much garbage out there. Any ideas?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hi! (What a great thing to have a child who loves to read!) Had to add a couple of books to your list, in case your daughter hasn't experienced them. Holly E, do you know her, has so many more good ideas on books for reading daughters, too.
- The Tale of Despereaux and the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by DiCamillo. Magical.
- Is she too old for the Boxcar Children?
- Have you played any of the Nancy Drew computer games? Several of them correspond to the books - we LOVE the books and find them to be pretty educational. Secret of the Old Clock is a favorite.
- What about the Christy novels by Catherine Marshall? Are those too old for her?
God bless you and your family! I loved the post below on your testimony to the doc. I believe this must've deeply impacted him. I greatly offended, however unintentionally, a doctor of mine by telling him, in my joy, that I believed that my remission is a gift of the Lord. What a shock to him when he thought it was the result of all his hard work with me over many years. Who knows how He will use your comments in the good doc's life!
The Mandy series - I read them all at her age. They are Christian mystery series and I own the first 20 or so if you want to borrow them.
All of a kind family series were my absolute favorite growing up.
Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm
Caddie Woodlawn
Happy holsters
The gymnasts series
And it is the Happy Hollisters. Not the Happy Holsters, which makes it sound like a series about guns.
Little House on the Prairie series?
Christian biographies in story form published by YWAM
Mr. Pipes series from Christian Liberty Press
Cul-de-sac kids by Beverly Lewis
Look into Lamplighter Publishing by Mark Hamby. We use these as read aloud for character lessons. Some are "old english" if that won't bother her.
We had this trouble with Helayna, too. Still do. There is SO MUCH junk out there that people think is good, modern literature.
We just returned from the library with stacks of books on the history and events of the Olympics for Karoline, and books on China and Pandas for Natalie. Neither of them are very interested in reading novels. Weird, I know!! They must take after Joe!!!
I loved Christy by Catherine Marshall, but I notice that has been mentioned. I also used to read the Love Comes Softly series by Jeanette Oke over and over and over again through my childhood. Not sure if they're too old?
Does she like horses? Marguerite Henry wrote some great books.
1. The Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique (33 1/3) by Dan LeRoy (Mar 1, 2006)
2. Beastie Boys Anthology: The Sounds of Science by Beastie Boys (Nov 1, 2004)
3. Pass the Mic: Beastie Boys 1991-1996 by Ari Marcopoulos, Carlo McCormick and Paul D. Miller (Dec 1, 2001)
4. The Beastie Boys (The Library of Hip Hop Biographies) by Thomas Forget (Jan 30, 2006)
5. Beastie Boys: In Their Own Words by Michael Heatley (Jun 1999)
(5 customer reviews)Formats
6. The Greatest Music Never Sold: Secrets of Legendary Lost Albums by David Bowie, Seal, Beastie Boys, Chicago, Mick Jagger, and More! by Dan LeRoy (Jul 1, 2007)
7. Rhyming & Stealing: A History of the Beastie Boys by Angus Batey (Jul 1, 1998)
8. The Beastie Boys: From Brooklyn and Beyond by SB Jeffrey (Jan 6, 2011)
A friend of mine suggested the Newberry Award website:
http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberyhonors/newberymedal
Not really anything to add, but I second the Lamplighter books.
We have Teddy's Button, The Bird's Nest, and the Lamplighter.
You are welcome to borrow.
I would also highly recommend the Captive, Hedge of Thorns, and Sir Malcolm and the Missing Prince
Post a Comment