Thursday, June 2, 2011

Don't Answer That

Last night Gretchen was flipping through the channels and landed on a certain preacher, one I won't name. The kids and I were in the kitchen and within minutes, Gretchen and I were explaining to them why this pastor should not be taken seriously.

He was talking about when Mary visits Elizabeth when they were both pregnant. He said that Elizabeth had not felt John move yet, and she thought that something might be wrong, but then, at the news that Mary was with child, John leaped in her womb, and she knew her baby was okay. I think he and I must read different translations.

He went on to say that we should never answer the door when it is bad news, but we should surround ourselves with people who have the Spirit of the most high Gawd ('cause that's how you have to say it if you teach the health and wealth gospel) because then our spirit will leap inside of us.

I was thankful that the kids seemed to think that teaching was as foolish as I did. We made lots of silly jokes about slamming the door in people's faces and pondered how he and his wife handled trick-or-treating. Was it only the nice costumes that they opened the door for?

Fast forward to this morning. Chloe came downstairs and said that she had been knocking on Michael's door and he wouldn't open it. He was standing behind her with a smile and said, "I figured it was bad news."

I'm so very proud.