We have been sharing a stomach bug around here the last few days. And something struck me that I wanted to share with all the moms who have younger children than I do.
Last night Michael started with the virus. He threw up once and then went to bed. And then guess what? He didn't come and get us at. all. I really thought maybe it was a one time thing and he just got it less than everyone else (which really does happen with him). But this morning he told me that he threw up 4 times in the middle of the night, and by the look on his poor face I knew it was true. I felt really bad that he was up feeling awful and I wasn't there to help. But when I asked him why he didn't come get us, he genuinely looked confused.
So here's the thing. Apparently children reach a point when they make it to the bathroom every. time. And they don't yell about it. Or scream like crazy because their stomach hurts. They just tell you they feel bad. And then they kind of lay around and don't do anything. They curl up with a book and read. They don't make an extra 75 loads of laundry. You don't have to wonder if you should try again and feed them. They tell you if they want something to eat.
I was struck by how different it looked when Chloe and Olivia had it last week versus Michael and Rachel having it this week. And I really would not have believed a mom who said you can get the stomach bug and have it not be that bad.
So, take heart young moms. Some day it will be easier to have sick kids. And you'll have time to blog while they lay on the couch.
Oh, and lest you think I'm not actually taking care of poor Michael, I am. I have given him toast and we've hung out together this morning. But I'm telling you, it's strange.
5 years ago
5 comments:
I wish there was a like button for this post.
Our victory over sickness this year was having Noelle 'hit the target' when she got sick rather then the bed or the couch or the floor. We're getting there!
I'm with Kimberly and the "like" button.
I wish I would have seen this earlier today when I was cleaning puke off of my clothes, the changing pad, the sheets, the microfiber chair and Nick's pj's lol It probably would have helped me have a better attitude about it ;-)
My 3 girls have vomited a combined 5 times, including "spitting up" as infants. I guess I am just a better parent than you.
Post a Comment