Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rest

Yesterday as I was spending time with the Lord I came across this verse in 2 Chronicles 14: "And he (Asa) built fortified cities in Judah, for the land had rest; he had no war in those years because the Lord had given him rest." God's word goes on to say that during that time Asa made walls and gates and surrounded the city. He built and prospered during the time of rest the Lord had given them. I was so struck by the Lord's goodness.  I praised Him for the last three years of rest that He has given Mike and I. There hasn't been anything major in over three years. No surgeries, a perfectly healthy (and adorable) baby has blessed our home. It's been quiet. And we've been rejoicing in it. I found myself praising the Lord for the time of rest and, at the same time, asking God if we are using that time to rebuild. I prayed that before the next battle would come, we would be ready. That we would have spent our time of rest well and that when God asked us to join the battle again our time of rest would be evident. That our handling of the next battle would show that we had used our time wisely. I recognize that as Christians we are always in a battle, but clearly at different times the battle has varying levels of intensity.

Last night I found out that God has called us to face another battle. It's not really our battle, but it's uncomfortably close. I'm praying that our time of rest has served us well. And that now we will serve others well as we fight alongside them. My mom has breast cancer. As far as cancer news goes, it was encouraging, but it's going to be a fight.

I could not be more thankful that we belong to the Lord. That we know Him. And trust Him. I'm thankful that the previous battles have left a passion to declare His sovereignty and His goodness. A desire to teach our children that life is messy. That we live in a sin cursed, broken world and that though the effects of that are never far away, God is always closer. And bigger. I love the Lord and I can't wait to see Him face to face.

 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!
 
“For who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has become His counselor? 
Or who has first given to Him
And it shall be repaid to him?”

 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. 
Romans 11:33-36


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margie, we now know the challenges we will face in the next months. My breasts are full of cancer. No clean cells were found at all. God will sustain us through this journey. He has held the past and He holds the future. As we walk this path, it is a comfort to know so many are praying with us. Dad and I have been married for over 44 years, we have faced both good times and tough times. I am so glad we married each other, as we have held onto one another in all times.

Please let your friends know that we will do our very best to learn the lessons Jesus has for us here. We will try to be a good example of love, courage, fortitude, patience, not my strong suit, grace, humor and care for each other. I may be sidelined for a time, that will be the hardest part. The Dr has told us I will be here to see the grandkids grow up. That was music to my ears. Now we just need to beat this cancer down and we will move on. Perhaps more will come closer to Christ because of this ailment.

Love 'ya much,
Mom

Anonymous said...

PTL.

More are praying for your family than you can imagine.

We always find power,peace and comfort in prayer !!!!