Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Baseball

We have become quite the baseball family. Michael and Rachel both played this year and loved every minute of it. Michael especially loved it when his team won the D-League Championship. Big stuff. And this week we took the kids to their first ever Reds game. Chloe had the best line of the night. During the first inning Chloe said, "The other team sucks!" I was shocked. So I said what I always say when I need a minute, "What?" She said, "The other team (while waving her finger around pointing down at the field) they're not very good at that." I explained that was an ok thing to say, but the first, not something I want to hear again.

Last night our baseball season officially ended with an end of the year picnic for Michael's team. The mothers and sons played a game against the dads. My word. They gave us 6 outs an inning, to their 3. They had to bat left handed. They had a cap of 4 runs per inning. We got to bat an extra time. And still we only won by one run and that only happened because of all the fielding "errors" the dads made. I should have known it was going to be bad when I went in search of my glove and it had my maiden name on it. It's clearly been a few years.

And, I'm saving the best for the last here people, Rachel has been nominated for the Character and Courage award. I'm not sure exactly what it means but apparently she would get to go this really cool dinner and be given an award for showing, you guessed it, character and courage. The man who runs the Miracle League called yesterday and told us that he had nominated her because every time he talks to her he walks away with a big smile on his face. I love watching God work in her life!


2 comments:

the ashley family said...

I'm so glad you got to go to the game!! And, duh, of course Rachel was nominated and should win that award every time. Don't tell her I said so - I don't want her to have the big head...love you

Anonymous said...

I know I tease the girl a lot but the reality is that she is an inspiration to all of us. I truly stand in amazement of her courage. She is one the most well adjusted children I know. Not only a vision issue but the family she was born into…talk about adversity! I say let the judges visit just once, she’s a shoe in!
LOL