When I first found out that I was pregnant with Michael I was shocked. As in, taking pregnancy tests, one after the other, until my husband loving reminded me that we were indeed having another baby and maybe I should quit wasting money. That kind of shock. Rachel was only 9 months old and already we had been to Children's countless times and things with her vision weren't going all that well at that moment either. But looking back I am so thankful for the timing of Michael's birth. I don't think I ever would have felt "ready" to have another child. But God knew so much better than I did (as always).
My pregnancy with Michael was pretty routine. I have found that when I am carrying a boy, it is easier all around. When I was about 15 weeks the doctors told me that I had placenta previa and threatened bed rest if it didn't correct itself. It did and the pregnancy went on without any complications.
While I was pregnant with Michael, Mike and I bought our second house. It needed work. Lots of work. Mike and Gretchen worked for hours getting the house ready, and we all prayed it would be done in time for us to move before Michael came. Thankfully it was ready. Or at least we thought it was.
I will never forget the first time it rained after we moved in. Mike was outside trying to find the leak in the foundation that was pouring water into the lower level of our new bi-level. Gretchen had a tarp over the back door, where water was pouring into the kitchen. And I was running around trying to figure out which windows were leaking. All but two. Shortly after the first rain, we found out that the plumber we hired had not exactly done the best work. Apparently forgetting to solder a pipe is a big deal.
I was a week late with Michael when they scheduled me for another induction. The night before the induction we had standing water in the lower level (thanks to the above mentioned plumber). We had to call ServePro to have them come and get the water out. They were there long into the night.
In the morning we had to run to my parents so we could shower since the pipes hadn't been fixed yet, and we couldn't run any water in the bathroom. I was feeling pretty good about leaving Gretchen with an 18 month old and no running water.
But, the thing that sticks out the most about Michael's birth is that it was a lot easier. It was a little shorter than Rachel's delivery and everything just seemed to go better physically. When he was born everyone in the room said, "Wow, that's a big baby." He was 9.3 and looked like a three month old. He was holding his own head up before we left the hospital. That kid is a brute.
After I delivered him, Michael and Mike were both sleeping and I tried to reach a cup of water, which I knocked over. As soon as it hit the floor, Mike jumped up and yelled, "Where did that come from?!? What's leaking now?"
Michael was a great baby. I remember being confused that he didn't need more. He just seemed easy right from the beginning. He just kind of rolls with whatever is going on and laughs a lot. And makes us laugh a lot.
It would seem that God has planned for Michael to be the only boy in a house full of girls. It makes me appreciate him more. He is rowdy, energetic and doesn't really get that you can walk places. It's always a run with him. I love his desire to be just like Mike, and it makes me so thankful that I married someone who Michael should want to be like. I am so excited to see the man that he becomes.
5 years ago
3 comments:
Man I miss Hunters Green.
I hope it has burned down by now. Of course that would mean that it had dried out, not likely.
Crazy.. but all the hard work, you guys made that place look "wicked rad"!
Post a Comment