Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Should Have Stayed In Bed

This morning my bed was nice and warm and quiet, and for the life of me I can't remember why I agreed to get out of it.

I only had two little things to get done today - pick up a prescription and take Rachel to one of her specialists. The appointment was at 10:30 at the Northern Kentucky Children's campus. When we got there the woman said that Dr. Motley doesn't come to Northern Kentucky and I must have misunderstood. I resisted the urge to scream at her. I've been taking Rachel to the same office for the last 7 years. I also would NEVER have scheduled an appointment in Cincinnati two days before Christmas. But instead I smiled and let her tell the scheduling center that the patient made an error and would have to be worked in at the main campus. And then I smiled when she said that they could see me at 12:30. I was not, however, smiling when I told Mike the saga and realized I would have to bring all 3 kids with me. I also didn't even chuckle when I realized that the elevator at Children's was broken and I had to hike up 4 floors with Chloe in my arms. Sure, she's old enough to walk, but when your toddler is running after you yelling "hold me Mommy" people give you dirty looks - especially at Children's.

The appointment was very routine. The doctor made sure I understood that the vision in the right eye is not going to get any better than it is right now (20/400 with glasses), in case I missed that last time. He also made sure to say that chances are good if they do a cornea transplant in the left eye the vision won't come back as strong as it is now. I swear to you sometimes I can actually hear the "Debbie Downer" music playing as they talk to me. I should save the $50 co-pay and have Mike give me the gloom and doom speech here.

But, my favorite part was when the medical assistant was writing her observations after examining Rachel. She wrote, "Irregular Pupil - Non Responsive - Both Eyes". I wanted to tell her we southern girls have better manners and that was something you should write down when the mom is not watching you type. She also said, "Wow, she really does have nastagmus". (Nastagmus is where your eyes "dance" and you can't physically hold them still). And then she spent the next 5 minutes saying, "Rachel, hold your eyes still" and "Honey, you really need to focus your eyes". IS SHE SERIOUS?!?

But here's what I love. It is very gloom and doom when we go to the doctor with Rachel. They don't have lots of good things to say, and they usually annoy us with their comments. BUT she can see! God is sustaining her vision. And I don't know how long He will continue to bless her with workable vision, but He won't be any less sovereign if He decides to take that blessing away. And that's why I'll get out of bed tomorrow too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, you are CRANKY when you don't get enough sleep!

The Talberts said...

You guys are funny.
What a nightmare, Margie! I know you don't know me very well, but I think we live nearby and would love to have your other kids come visit when you're doing the hospital stuff. I know taking three kids anywhere is difficult!
Also .. did you really say Debbie Downer? Ben and I are forever cracking up about Debbie Downer and people are forever just staring blankly at us when we do.

Margie Petri said...

Thanks for the offer. And don't worry - we get the same reaction to our Debbie Downer comments.

Anonymous said...

Debbie Downer?! Are you watching secular T.V.?
HEATHENS!!

Anonymous said...

Hello

Anonymous said...

Well after hearing another little comment about my less than acceptable computer skills... I think I heard a word about typing in a URL first then typing my comment. So if it works I am at last joining in at least for today!!!!
All I can say is PTL for such awesome parents in the midst of less than professional CO WORKERS. In eye care they really do need some serious education and people skills. !!!!! Maybe a load of compassion would help too!!!!

Hopefully I never treat patients so badly .


Marsha Petri

Anonymous said...

Here is my name so I do not have to be Anonymous any more.