Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another Cool God Story

Yesterday didn't get off to the best start. I didn't sleep well the night before and my morning looked like it was going to be a stressful one. Rachel had an appointment with her glaucoma specialist at 8:30AM. With all 3 kids. In Cincinnati. In rush hour. Even a quick trip to Starbucks didn't help that much.

By the time we got to the office I was thankful to be in one piece - traffic was crazy yesterday. As soon as we sat down they came out and told me they were going to do a field vision test. My first thought was that there is not enough coffee in the world to get me through this day. My second thought was that I really shouldn't assume the worst. Sure, we've been given lots of bad news about Rachel, but I should be excited to see what God is going to do, not dread it. I really hope one day I am mature enough to have that thought first.

Back to the story.

There are two ways to measure glaucoma damage. One is by looking at the optic nerve and the other is by a field vision test. We have always measured Rachel's damage by looking at the optic nerve. They won't do the field vision test on children under 7 and when she reached the magic age, there was too much else going on with her eyes for them to give her the test and expect accurate results. So, yesterday was the day.

The damage to her optic nerve has been the same for years. In the left eye, the damage is "moderate" and in the right eye it is "moderate to severe" glaucoma damage. I know that won't make much sense to you, but there is only one level above severe - advanced. And you really don't want to be at advanced.

Her doctor told me that she did surprisingly well on her field vision test. Clinically speaking, she only has early glaucoma damage to both of her eyes. Again, that might not mean much, but to boil it down ... once again God is allowing her to see things that medically she shouldn't be able to.

Glaucoma damages the peripheral vision first, and then the central vision. For years now they have told us that Rachel can't see much peripherally because of the extent of the glaucoma damage. Turns out they were wrong.

I am so amazed at watching God work in her life. Amazed by the doctors not being able to explain how or why. Amazed that even when my attitude is to assume the worst, He surprises me with the best. Amazed that I get a front row seat to watching His plan for her unfold.

School starts Monday. Overall I have been doing okay with that thought, and feel liked I am ready to commit to another year of hourly drops. But, it has been a struggle to get there and hard to remember that it isn't about me. It's about Rachel.

Thank you, Lord for reminding me that it's not about her either. It's about You and how You will be glorified in our lives.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

"Thank you, Lord for reminding me that it's not about her either. It's about You and how You will be glorified in our lives"

Thank YOU Margie for reminding *me* of this--I really needed that today! And as always, I love hearing cool God stories :-)