Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Camping

We took a family trip to the Little Miami this weekend. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. At one time in my life I might have described myself as loving the outdoors, but I would have been lying to impress Mike. When I say I like being outside, I mean that I enjoy lying next to a pool reading a book, swimming, or sitting on a deck. Oh, and the water I'm swimming in should be crystal clear, free of bugs and all the rest of God's creatures that aren't other people. So, I'm not exactly a good candidate for camping. Several times during our married lives Mike has mentioned camping. I'm pretty sure every time I laughed and told him to have fun. But, last year I decided to get him a family size tent for his birthday. Part of the gift was telling him that I could get over myself long enough to try camping.

We started out canoeing, which I've also never done before (can you tell my Dad shares my love for the great outdoors). It was a lot of fun, and shockingly enough Gretchen and I managed to not tip the canoe at all.

Camping was actually fun. But the next time we go and bring air mattresses I'm guessing it will be even better. See, I'm already saying there will be a next time.

I also learned something about my son while camping. When everyone had finally fallen asleep I heard loud snoring. I was thankful that Mike was sleeping so well when I realized that Mike was actually moving around. We were both shocked to discover that Michael snores almost as loud as his Daddy when he is really tired and sleeping on his back.

I'll leave you with some pictures and this great line from Mike. We all saw these turtles sitting on a log in the river. Well, everyone but Rachel. Mike really wanted her to be able to see it, so he turned their canoe around so he could get close enough for her to see them. As he was paddling up stream he got a couple of odd looks from other canoes. His comment, "I told them I'd turn this canoe around." He's funny.

Giving eye drops on the river. I edited the picture because something tells me Gretchen would have preferred me not capture her in a bathing suit. But, we had to bring the canoes together and Mike would keep us steady while Gretchen did the actual drop. We've gotten really good at giving eye drops in unusual places.












4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those love handles on that fat guy are AWESOME!!!...Wait, that's me!

the mama said...

So much fun! Pleased you were able to have this experience ...thrilled I didn't have to!

Coffee STAT! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coffee STAT! said...

Wow.... wow, wow. My niece & nephew friends are growing up so fast. Samuel & I pray for you all regularly and miss you guys in a ridiculous way!!! Also, I deleted my comment because I had a type-o, nope, I don't have issues.