Monday, February 2, 2009

Call To Prayer

The week of surgery always seems to sneak up on me. No matter how much I prepare and plan ahead of time, it always seems to come faster than I would like. And the closer we get to surgery, the more anxious Rachel is getting. For the most part she does really well, but she is only 7 and it's a lot to grasp for someone that age.

There are lots of things I would like prayer for. Here are the big concerns:
  • Rachel can't have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before. Please be praying that God would cause her to feel full, even on an empty stomach.
  • This surgery is going to be at Christ rather than Children's. I'm not really sure why they chose to change, but it won't be familiar to Rachel. Please pray that God would comfort her when Mike and I can't be with her.
  • Rachel is dreading the patch that goes on after surgery. It is a metal shield with fabric around the edges and is held on by an unhealthy amount of medical tape. The shield itself is uncomfortable, but when it comes off it hurts. Please pray that the pain would not last long and that the skin around her eye would not be irritated in the process.
  • Rachel is feeling more anxious this time. Please be praying that Mike and I would have the words to comfort her. And not meaningless promises that everything will work out just like we hope, but promises from our God.
  • Please be praying that the surgery would be a success. We won't know the results for 5-6 weeks, but they sometimes have a good idea right after the surgery. Pray that her doctor would be pleased with the results.
  • And pray for her glaucoma surgeon, Dr. Zalta. He is not a Christian. Pray that our family would be a good witness for him during the day.
One thing that has been so encouraging to me during the last few days is Rachel's response to God's word. When she has been feeling anxious, she is not comforted by just anything. When she is concerned about the tape around her eye, or being at a new hospital, she isn't encouraged when I tell her that they know just as much as the people at Children's, or that the pain of the tape coming off will only last for a short time. But she has been encouraged when I give her verses about God's promises and the fact that she belongs to Him. I am so thankful that she is taking comfort in the real thing!

Thanks for praying and I'll try to post something Wednesday after surgery.

7 comments:

The Talberts said...

I'll be praying.

Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing some specific things we can be praying for! I will be praying!

Anonymous said...

Yes we will all pray and have all our friends pray as always.

Your prayer requests make it so much easier to pray specifically.

Kentucky Kate said...

We'll be looking for the update. I hate, but love that Rachael is learning at such a young age what God's promises mean and that she's not satisfied with the trivial - but wants what is real. It is amazing and wonderful to see her eternal side mature, even as her physical body struggles.

On a separate note, can you use any help? Meals or picking up kids from school or running errands?

Kentucky Kate said...

Also, I'm sorry for Mike's loss, but he did at least get some big laughs "walking out" on Sunday.

krissy said...

I will be praying too and sign me up for helping. Other than small group my calendar is completely empty. Please let me know what I can do.

kara h said...

Girls who want to offer a meal:

First, great idea.

Second, I'll coordinate. E-mail me if you'd like to cook something and what day you'd like to drop it off.