Friday, February 20, 2009

Still Recovering

I haven't had much to write lately, and I've been in sort of a mood. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, maybe it's the fact that Rachel is taking longer to recover this time around, but that's the reason for the delay in writing. It all just comes out like I'm complaining that Rachel is going through this. And I really don't want to start doing that (at least not in print anyway). So I'm just going to give a brief update about her and then remind myself that God answers prayers.

Rachel's eye is healing well and the doctor is pleased with the results so far, although we still don't know the results. I have to say that this surgery has been the toughest on her. She is still not back to her normal self and the last two weeks have found her battling side effects. She is on 6 different drops and the top 3 side effects on all of them are itchy eyes, stinging in the eye and headaches. And those are the 3 she is facing for the moment. For the time being the doctor thinks the pros out weigh the cons, but as she was throwing up today (from a headache) I couldn't help but disagree. She is struggling with the patch she has to wear overnight and I think it's keeping her from getting a good night of rest. School has been a bit of a struggle, but I'm sure with her eye bothering her so much, concentrating can't be an easy task.

So, it stinks. But as always it has given us lots of opportunities to talk about Heaven and the plan God has for us. And that leads me to the reminder that God answers prayers.

When I was pregnant with Rachel I prayed for a healthy baby. But I also prayed that God would have His will and that if the baby were not healthy, that Mike and I would have the grace to walk that road. But more than all of that, I prayed that she would be set apart. I asked God to mark her as belonging to Him in a way that no one could deny. I asked that she be a constant example of God's grace and mercy to the world. I prayed that God would use her in mighty ways; that He would grab hold of her at an early age and never let go. I prayed for a child that had understanding beyond her years. I'm pretty sure I had no idea what I was saying, but I'm confident that God has more than answered that prayer in Rachel. He is still on His throne and He has not forgotten. And how cool is it that one day we get to leave all this behind and none of it will matter!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So hormones are to blame?! I think I miss the point of your posts.

The House of Schwartz said...

I think that is so awesome that you have those prayers to look back on and see what a work God has done! WOW. Answered every one he did.