Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Home Again!

I feel like I have been gone for days.

Rachel's surgery was scheduled to take 1 1/2 hours, but she was under for almost 3 hours. The surgery has 7 steps and 6 of them went great. The step where they actually insert the tube into her eye usually takes about 30 seconds. Dr. Zalta said that it took over an hour. He started in one area and was having a lot of trouble getting the tube to go in, so he opened a second spot. That was even worse than the first, so he went back to the original area. Finally he went to a third spot and the tube went in perfectly.

She was really tired from being under for so long, and probably partly because of the morphine they gave her for pain. She did have some trouble with throwing up and still tonight her stomach is very unsettled. She hasn't eaten hardly anything at all, so I'm fearing that tomorrow morning may see more nausea. Please be praying that God would settle her stomach tonight.

Her attitude was amazing throughout the day. She kept saying "thank you" to all of the doctors and nurses, even when they were doing the unpleasant things. I just went up to check on her again and she said that her stomach still really hurts. I said, "I'm sorry, honey." To which she replied, "That's OK, it's not your fault."

We will see her surgeon for a follow up tomorrow morning. Please be praying for the patch removal. They have so much tape on her little face, and there is no way it is going to feel good when they take it off. Please pray that it would only last for a minute and that she would not be scared as we wait for the appointment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is your amazing Rachel, always the sweet little girl who gets thru it all. We will pray for the tummy and the tape often and for the good results GOD can deliver..

Kentucky Kate said...

What a sweet girl. Thanks for the update. We've been praying. Evie even joined in with an "amen" this afternoon.