Monday, May 18, 2009

Another Few Days

Rachel had a follow up this morning in Cleveland. Dr Sears is very pleased with the results and is confident that the surgery will be a success. The retina is attached and everything looks good. However, he was not able to fix the retina the way he normally does. It has to do with a long explanation and a lot of medical speak, but because of all the complications with Rachel eyes, and all of her previous surgeries, he wasn't able to reinforce the repair like he normally does. Long story short, she has to stay in the face down position until Saturday, and sleep face down for the next 3 weeks.

Rachel waited until he left the room, and then she cried. She was so hopeful that today would be the day. A few minutes later the crying started again as she realized that Friday is Michael's kindergarten graduation and she won't be able to look up by then. She was devastated. I quickly told her I would email her doctor and get special permission for those 2 hours, or that we would work something out with a video camera, but that she would get to be there either way. She has been doing such a good job not complaining and I think I was under estimating how difficult this week has been for her.

I can not imagine the story that Rachel already has of God in her life, and I can't wait to know her as an adult. She is already so amazing to me, and I love that I get to watch God work in her life. I wish that it was easier for her, that she didn't have so many things to face on a daily basis, but her quiet spirit is already so encouraging to me.

Thanks for praying!

10 comments:

krissy said...

maybe you already have this but if not, our video camera has a pop out screen that swivels all around so she could be watching it and still be facing down. I'm sorry she has to stay in that position. I'm praying for you all.

The Talberts said...

I was going to offer ours, too. Same deal with the screen.

Margie Petri said...

Thanks for the offers. My parents bought her one of those last year and it has been so helpful to have. And thanks for praying!

krissy said...

I have Cloe's jacket. oops.

Coffee STAT! said...

I don't have anything to offer. Wait, a brilliant idea.... I think you should make Gretchen lay on her back during the graduation, head at Rachel's feet. The least she could do is give Rachel something to look at, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Margie, since you are acting all sleep deprived for some reason, I think you are talking about the DVD player, not the video camera. I don't think mine rotates, but it is possible that since the event is video taped at school, there should be someone there who can run it into a DVD screen she can look down on.

Anonymous said...

Why is it you insist on only mentioning the children on your little blog thingy? I am certain everyone wants to hear about other things, like how cool and smart and funny your brother is.

Margie Petri said...

If my brother were any of those things, I'd be sure and mention it :)

Anonymous said...

"You mocked me once, never do it again!"

Anonymous said...

"As you wish"