Monday, March 23, 2009

Opinions

Today we had another appointment with Rachel. It went really well. Her pressure is down, which means the surgery is working and he is pleased with the healing that has already taken place. So, all in all, it was a great appointment.

The kids are on spring break this week, so I had all of them with me. It really isn't a big deal to take them. They are all familiar with what's expected and, for the most part, they all do really well. Today was no exception. Except that a total stranger decided to offer her opinion on my growing family.

We were on the elevator with this woman who was probably 70 or older. Her daughter (I'm guessing) was with her. The older lady just kept staring at my kids. Not in a "Wow, aren't they cute and well behaved" kind of way - just staring. She waited until the elevator door opened to say, "Are they all yours?" Said in complete disgust. I smiled, really big, and said, "Yep, and there's another one on the way." Then I walked off the elevator, turned around to make sure the older two were also getting off, and caught a view of her wide open mouth.

I mean seriously. I only have 3. And I didn't ask her to take care of any of them. I realize this whole thing sounds like I was deeply offended, which I wasn't. But it always amuses me when a decision Mike and I make about our family bothers total strangers. So, here's to raising a bunch of little conservatives.

9 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

That's always funny. Someone told me a few weeks ago that it's a shame I did all that college for nothing. I loved Mark Driscoll's response to a woman who told him that the planet was overcrowded and he should stop having so many kids. He told her that if it really bothered her, she should find another planet, because this one was theirs.

Anonymous said...

I would have told her to enjoy the elevator ride and be sure to get off in HELL. What a cranky piece of crap. Anybody wonder What I am really thinking?!

The Talberts said...

I love when I get ready to comment to a post and then I read Mike's comment and I completely forget what it was I was going to say because I'm like, "Wait. What?".

Uh ..

Oh yes. We get the stares and things, too. If I had a dime for every person who has shaken their head and murmured, "You sure are busy, aren't you?" ...
I just listened to this great, interesting podcast that talks about how our society has this "a boy for you, a girl for me, praise the Lord we're finally free!" mentality where the only reason anyone would want more than two children is if the first two were of the same gender. Then you can "try one more time". His whole point was how we don't value children in our culture as being the gifts from God that they are. And I totally agree. People act like you're a glutton for punishment if you've denied yourself the freedom that more than one or two little ones offers you. It amazed me how many people who found out that Libby was a girl during my pregnancy with her said something like, "Oh how wonderful! A boy and a girl. Now you can be finished!" As if the entire point of parenting is to even out the genders in the home.

kara h said...

Yeah, when I told the nurse after my ultrasound that I was having a boy she said, "a boy for me, a girl for you, an now we're through." What?? I was a little stunned. I mean, she doesn't know I have a kidney condition and may actually BE done, but she probably shouldn't just comment on it. She was a little surprised when I responded gently (I promise), "no, we'd still like several more." :o)

Eric said...

You have to hand it to them, Planned Parenthood has done their social engineering well.

Anonymous said...

O Please have a few more to keep the rest of the world a happy place. I have seen no better children in my life than Petri stock young and old!!!!!!!!
And I'm NOT kidding!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

O Please have a few more to keep the rest of the world a happy place. I have seen no better children in my life than Petri stock young and old!!!!!!!!
And I'm NOT kidding!!!!!!!

grandpa said...

YEEHAA!! Bring it on!!

gpa said...

I wish Mike would quit being so wishywashy and tell us how he really feels.