Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Potty Training

There are few things that make me feel as inadequate as potty training a child. Every time I am faced with the task I want to cry and scream that I am the wrong person for the job. I know you are all thinking that since I have two older children, who presumably use the bathroom on their own, that I should have this down. Rest assured, I do not.

Rachel was the easiest child on earth. She potty trained herself before she was 2. She has always been a very unique, agreeable child and it just made sense to her. Michael was a different story. I tried several times before we were successful. I have always been a fan of the "potty training in less than a day" method, but now I understand why an older mom told me it worked for her first few kids, but just wasn't practical when she had more children in the house. A few months ago I tried to teach Chloe with the same method but she just wasn't ready. But since a baby is on the way I have a renewed interest.

We started this morning off with several accidents before she actually went in the potty. I was very excited and was praising her, when she decided to go again, all over the bathroom floor. I was beginning to think we were doomed. She kept sitting on the potty with this very confused look saying, "It not workin'." But it seems we have made progress. She has not had an accident in several hours. There is hope!

Oh, and once when I asked, she said she didn't have to go potty. Michael immediately jumped in and said, "You know Mom, sometimes she lies."

3 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

Bless you, bless you, bless you. I keep thinking they might take away my mothering license over this issue. I put Elise on the potty yesterday and she told me she couldn't pee because "it's stuck."

Anonymous said...

She is only 2. She has 4 more years before she should be trained.

The Talberts said...

Let me know when you decide to do the less-than-a-day method again. I'll send Libby over. With poop already in her underwear.